Thursday, October 2, 2008

Group Ride #4: LIGHTNING FAST

Trip Dist: 34.76 mi
Trip Time: 1 hr 49 min 21 sec
Avg Speed: 19.07 mph
Max Speed: 46.86 mph

Total Odo: 812 mi
Total Time: 59 hrs 18 min


Weather: Low 70s to start, mid 60s be the end. No wind, beautiful weather

Pre-Ride Food Blast: Mac & cheese, raisins, water

Wow. Look at those digits. My average speed would have been much faster but I slowed down for a guy having bike problems, (his bike started shaking uncontrollably as we were going down a hill. Thank God he was able to take control of the it and stop) , we stopped a few times to regroup, and also there were many stop signs. It was quite epic to say the least.

We rode out with 9 guys. As the ride went on, we lost a few guys. I had lost the better A group guys as we were about to scale a massive hill. Luckily, as we descended (that's where the 46 mph max speed came from) they stopped at a gas station to regroup. I linked up with those guys. We were flying at about 30-32 mph in a chain on the straightaways. SICK.

My legs felt less like rubber bands, and hill climbing affected me less. I felt improvement since last ride.

About the shoes and pedals, I'll be picking them up from Rich sometime this week. I'll have time to putz around and get comfortable in them. I saw some new looks from guys as they saw ole Panasonic screaming down the hill as they waited at the gas station. I'm sure "he" doesn't appreciate being stared down. I don't gaze at guy's Trek's and Specialized all day. LAY OFF the present FAX MACHINE says (DX2000).

So I finished the ride beating two guys behind me. I just had to push my hardest until the very end. It got really dark, really dark. I don't have a light on the rear of my bike so I was trying to get back as fast as I could. The ride lasted from 6-8pm. It was insane, INSANITY.

As I pulled in, I said Hi to one of the A group guys that I don't really know well. He just got in a bit before me. He said, "That's impressive man." I felt real good when he said that. I guess I won't realize how much heavier and less efficient the Panasonic is compared to the Treks of today until I get one. Until then, I will RIDE ON.

Thanks for enjoying the posts everyone. MORE TO COME!

No comments: