Thursday, September 18, 2008

Intense Climbing

Trip Dist: 30.47 mi
Trip Time: 1 hr 36 min 48 sec
Avg Speed: 18.89 mph
Max Speed: 34.12 mph

Total Odo: 680 mi
Total Time: 51 hrs 07 min

Dog Chases: 5 total (2 out in the road, 3 stopped in the yard)

Weather: Partly Cloudy, 85 degrees. Beautiful weather, cooled down considerably

Finally, an intense ride. I have been swamped with schoolwork and extra video projects so I haven't done much intense riding on my own. Me and Mike have been riding a lot at night, so that's been good. I've done some Rec Center cycling indoors, but only a few times. My legs were loose, but I needed much more than loose to stay at the head of the pack today.

Since there was a smaller crowd out, we merged both A and B groups. The guys ahead of the pack were machines. We were cruising down some beautiful, smooth roads. I decided to spring past the peleton and take the lead. I lasted about 6 seconds before everyone zoomed past me. I was 4th or 5th back out of 9 most of the time. I just get a fever for wanting to get in the front. My legs are strong, but not strong enough.

We decided to take a very hilly route with many rolling hills, and some steep ones as well. We hit the 15th mile while were were hitting major hills. I was about to quit. It's interesting how you get so many highs and lows as you cycle. I carb-loaded before the ride so I would have plenty of energy, and had a bunch of fruit as well. Our pace was very quick because of the A class riders, so that was great to max out my endurance and leg power.

George is a cool guy that rides a really nice black specialized, carbon of course. Dale is a younger guy that has new EVERYTHING: truck, bike, helmet, shoes. Wow. He's about late 20s or early 30s. He is a tower. Ever play Colossus? We were climbing an intense hill as he was going slightly faster than me. I just blurted out, "CARBON vs. STEEL! YAAAHHH." He yells out, it's not fairrrr!"

So light, so light. But I see it as a blessing because of the intense training with ol' steely. We broke apart from the A CLASS riders once the downhill JAM began. It was really beautiful; cow fields, sunlight, farms, windy France-esque roads. On one strip, you crested the hill, it curved downhill to the left, then sharp right, then sharp left up a gradual hill. At the top, you could see all the other bikers flying towards the hill. Beautiful.

Well people, intense ride, very intense. Average speed was very good for about 10-12 intense climbs. The Panasonic is holding up well. Thank you Jesus.

I'm off to war tomorrow morning. PRAY.

Below is my post ride dinner..It was glorious.


No comments: